Top 10 (or 20) things I’ve learned as an employee:
1. It’s important to know how to use the copy machine.
2. How to craft an email that balances professional, pleading, demanding, and sweet.
3. Organization is everything.
4. Listen to your voicemails every day.
5. You don’t have to respect someone, but you have to be polite.
6. Apologize, but only when it’s truly needed.
7. A “work BFF” makes a world of difference.
8. Only complain to coworkers you trust (those people are your friends).
9. Age has nothing to do with good leadership.
10. Make to do lists.
11. Most decisions are made outside of work (this is networking).
12. Be your own advocate.
13. Keep your integrity at all costs. Do the right thing no matter how risky or unpopular your decision. At the end of the day, you have to know you did everything you could
14. Administrative assistants are the people with the real power. Be nice to them, the office runs because of them.
15. Paychecks really do bring happiness (even though it seems shallow).
16. When you’re angry, take a break.
17. I don’t like to talk work, answer the phone, or make decisions before 9am.
18. Fridays are the longest day of the week.
19.Laughter at the workplace makes a world of difference.
20. Coworkers make or break a job (I’ve been blessed with some really great ones).
(and now for some seriousness...)