Wednesday, April 4, 2012

One Tree Hill


I would not be the TV lover I am if I didn't post about the end of One Tree Hill. Tonight was the finale episode of the series, and although I haven't watched the show for years, and never was a very faithful viewer, I had to tune in tonight. Also, in classic Carrie style, I cried.

This show was so good in it's day, back when the WB was the channel to watch as a teenager with Dawson's Creek, Felicity (my fave), OTH, and at the end of it's run, Related and The Bedford Diaries. Two of my favorite OTH episodes were Nathan and Haley's second wedding and the fourth season finale, which was graduation. I remember I identified so much with the opening episode of season five when they jumped ahead 4 years. I was senior in college then and about the same "age" as the characters in that season.

One Tree Hill always makes me wish that my life was full of everyday relationships with friends from high school. Tonight I really realized that this dream will never happen. It's not a sad realization, just truth. I was insanely blessed to have the friends and high school experience that I had, and shows like One Tree Hill remind me of those days. But we've all moved on and that life will not exist.

OTH also makes me want to live in a small town surrounded by friends and one stop light and knowing everyone's name. Ironically, I was even researching small towns today, so the dream is not just due to OTH. I love the idea of a small town.

So, goodbye to One Tree Hill. I won't really miss it, but am glad to have closure all the same.

(photo from OTH Twitter and here is a great goodbye note by Bethany Joy [Haley]).

No comments: