Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pools of sunshine


Sometimes I like to just sit and listen to the rain. It makes me feel melancholy and hopeful at the same time. That, and the fact that I love the sound of cars driving on wet asphalt. Have you ever noticed it has a different sound? Like puddles dancing.

I love the rain, but I just got back from soaking up the Palm Desert sun and that was wonderful too. A whole week away from problems* and stress. Days full of nothing to do with puzzles, delicious food, shopping, lying in the sun, swimming, and deciding every day to do whatever whenever and however, all with the people I love most in the world. That's what vacations are all about.

I saw in Tommy Bahama's store (which I wish I could live in) that their motto is "make life one long weekend." I love that. I wish vacation could be life, but maybe then it wouldn't be vacation? Unless you kept moving from city to city and hotel to hotel? Live like rich characters in a Jane Austen novel, traveling with your favorite people from big country house to London flat and back again.

Time away and disconnected made me ready to face life again. I missed my friends; my other support system and source of encouragement and laughter. I feel ready to tackle work projects and meetings and make decisions again.

But today I am enjoying my last day of freedom and listening to the rain.

*There was water damage to my apartment (my bedroom actually) while I was gone and I got the call about it on my third day away. Now that I'm home I have to pressure my complex to compensate me for all my ruined bedding and mattress. Thank God I pressured them to fix the hole in the roof and wall before today's rain, or it could have gotten worse. Oh the adventures of apartment living... they never seem to end.

No comments: