Monday, March 26, 2012

A note for me.

(I just needed to post this for myself, to remind me later on of what I am trying to process this week). 

There's been a lot of sound bytes on my DVR the last few days about the big tenants of the Christian faith. I was watching Rosie O'Donnell debate Stephen Baldwin and then watched Kristin Chenoweth talk with Ellen and all four discussed Christianity.

Most of the four said that love is the cornerstone of the Christian faith. They said love is the big point and that  more Christians should be loving. This is such a common statement made by the media and public figures about Christianity and most of the time the people professing it are not Christian.

Now please don't get me wrong or be quick to judge. Love is a very important part of Christianity (read John 3:16 and 1 Cor 13:13). But the way many of us (Christians and non-Christians alike) view a loving God is like a great big teddy bear in the sky. God is love, but He also requires obedience and a humble heart.

I hate to say it, but Stephen Baldwin (on Rosie's show) was right when he responded to Rosie's comment that the "tenant of Christianity is love," by saying "it is also repent."

This hit me like a ton of bricks. Love is not the blindfold to the way we live. It is the cast that helps us heal in order to walk straighter. And that healing path is down a road of obedience, starting at the door of repentance.

No comments: