Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oscar Predictions

Tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the year! Oscar Sunday. I swear, I like it more than my birthday (which is Thursday, by the way). I try to predict who will win every year. As you know, I am obsessed with all things pop culture and I pride myself on reading up beforehand, so, with fingers crossed, here is my list of who will win and who I would like to see win.


Best picture 
Will win: The Artist
Should win: The Help - my favorite movie of the year, for great acting, great book adaptation, great historical truths, and great women's rights kind of movie. Loved it.


Best Actor (this is a very tough one to call, and I so want to be right, but think I'll be wrong)
Will win: Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Should win: It's a tie for me between George (my love) and Jean Dujardin. I think that if George wins it is not just for The Descendants, but for his body of work (which the Academy is known for doing). I think if Jean wins it is because he was amazing in The Artist as a silent film actor. Part of me thinks it will be Jean, because his performance reminds of when Roberto Benigni won Best Actor for Life is Beautiful


Best Actress (also a close race)
Will win: Viola Davis, The Help
Should win: Viola Davis. Despite the brilliance that is Meryl Streep and despite that I hope Michelle Williams wins a Best Actress Oscar someday. 


Best Supporting Actor
Will win: Christopher Plummer, Beginners 
Should win: Jonah Hill. He was phenomenal in Moneyball. Loved him. I also fell a little in love with him today when I watched my taped Oprah's Oscar Special. 


Best Supporting Actress
Will win: Octavia Spencer, The Help
Should win: Jessica Chastian (also from The Help) because as much as I think Octavia was great, Jessica stole the whole movie to me. She was fantastic. I also think Emma Stone and Allison Janey were overlooked for The Help this season too.


Best Director
Will win and should win: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
Should win: Michael Hazanavicius 


Best Animated Feature Film
Will win: Rango
Should win: don't care


Best Foreign Film 
Will win: A Separation
Should win: no idea, but because I love Angelina Jolie I wish her film, In the Land of Blood and Honey, was nominated.


Best Original Screenplay 
Will win: Midnight in Paris, written by Woody Allen
Should win: The Artist


Best Adapted Screenplay
Will win: The Descendants  
Should win: The Ides of March (it was great... and George helped write it)


Enjoy Oscar Sunday!

No comments: