Saturday, October 29, 2011

Small steps

People say you should do one thing a day that scares you. For a person with severe anxiety and fear, sometimes just an average day is a day facing fears. Other times, I can do something a little more brave. 


Lately, I feel I've been growing stronger in trying to be brave. There are situations that I have to face head on and be smart about them, by trying something new and breaking my patterns. Patterns are comfortable, but not always helpful or beneficial. 


Small steps toward facing fears or breaking patterns are all that is needed. I don't think progress is made through giant leaps. I believe one foot in front of the other, only looking at the path ahead, is when real progress is made. 


It is starting to get dark early. It is the one draw back to my favorite seasons (Fall and Winter). As soon as it gets dark I tend to think only bad things happen. I suddenly hate going to run errands after work because it's dark, or meeting friends for dinner because it's dark, and I always feel like I have to go to bed earlier because it's dark. None of these things need to be true. Even when it's dark, it's only 7pm. EARLY. 


So, to avoid my pattern of being afraid of the dark, I went to the grocery store at 7:20 tonight. It is only on the next corner (baby steps), but it seemed liked a big deal to me. 

No comments: