Saturday, October 29, 2011

Puppy love


I got some sad news today. My family and I have to put our beloved dog, Lucy, down. Not today or tomorrow, maybe not even soon, but it is our best option for her benefit. I hate it. I've cried about it. I've been mad. I've tried to rationalize it, but it's just sad. But, it has to be done and is probably for the best. Lucy is nearly completely deaf, she has cataracts and will lose her sight completely, but we don't know when, however, she hasn't lost it yet. She has little trembles, which are due to weak back legs, due to losing muscle tone. And, she is 13 years old, which is pretty old for a dog (about 90 human years old). 


Lucy is the sweetest dog in the whole world. Nearly everyone who has ever met her thinks the same thing. It's not just me. I grew up afraid of animals. I was chased by dogs as a kid and never really liked them (or any animal) in the first place. My family always thought about getting a dog but I always vetoed it. But then, one day my mom called our house and left a message (the days before cell phones) for Dad, Ash, and I to come to a grocery store and see some puppies. We went and I dreaded it because I knew I would have to say no again and be the bad guy. We got there, saw some cute puppies, and then... crazily enough... I sat down in the pen and held Lucy. She was so sweet and calm. I said yes. The people we adopted her from said to give her a clothing item that smelled like us and so we gave her my sweatshirt. Lucy drove home in my lap. 


I hid from her for the next six months. It was a process of getting over my fear of dogs. Over the years, I have become less afraid of them.


Lucy has quite possibly been the best gift our family has ever known. She is sweet, good natured, gentle, loyal, and even trained her own self to poo in the hill so we didn't have to pick it up. She is not a huge fan of walks, unless our pet sitter is taking her, and she isn't great at fetch, although she is excellent at tearing apart tennis balls. She loves to do yard work with Dad, eat popcorn and Sunday breakfast and pizza crust. She loves to lay by the fireplace. It takes her a good 24 hours to eat when Dad is gone on a business trip. He is her favorite and she is his favorite. Lucy lays in front of my sister's door every morning when she's home. Lucy sits by Mom when she sews. She lets me kiss her head and tell her I love her several times a day. 


Saying goodbye to Lucy will be very difficult. I am most afraid of how Dad will react. They are pals like I have never seen before and life apart will take some major adjustment. I don't know what to do when my Dad cries, because it rarely happens. Mom, Ash, and I on the other hand cry pretty regularly (okay, I cry the most). I know many people have lost pets and I know several have had to make the difficult decision of putting them down. Your prayers are appreciated. I hate goodbyes and I really hate that Lucy can't talk and tell us she loves us. I am a big believer in hearing "I love you." 


I don't know when we're putting Lucy down, but definitely by the beginning of next year, if not before then. We are thinking we'd like to have her around for Christmas, but we'll see. 


I will miss Lucy more than words can say. 


Post edit: Many were confused by this post... Lucy is still alive, but the decision to put her down is one that we will make over the next few weeks/months. 

2 comments:

Josh, Chrissie, Matthew & Kaylie said...

:( So sorry to hear that, she is such a great girl. We're definitely praying and will continue praying!

Rachel said...

Dude...we need to talk...crazy stuff happened and it is centered around Lucy.