Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cookies and Potatoes



I spent most of today in the kitchen. I've had the desire to cook/bake this weekend, so today I decided that is what I'd do. Three stores, new bowls, new containers, buying every baking ingredient, and $80 later, I was ready. I set up my laptop in the kitchen to read the recipes and played Christmas music!




I baked Peanut Butter Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip cookies first. They turned out well, but I don't love the taste of them. Apparently, I am not a fan of butterscotch (I put butterscotch chips in because I couldn't find peanut butter ones), either that or I don't like cookies who are too sweet, something about brown sugar maybe? I don't know. I am new to all of this. I also decided I wanted them with more oatmeal. The cookie dough wasn't amazing and that was my first sign that I wasn't wild about the cookies. So, my new philosophy is that if you don't like the cookie dough, you won't like the cookie. 


(movie quote break: "he wants a woman who's not afraid of his dark chocolate layer") 




Next, I made Hasselback Potatoes. It is basically just a fancy looking version of a baked potato. they have been all over Pinterest, so I checked it out. They were pretty good. I used a ton of butter and kosher salt to eat them. I also didn't bake them long enough. I would make these again and be a grown up pair them with some kind of steak or something. 


The good news about both baked/cooked items: they passed the taste test of my sister! It is always a good sign when you're not the only one who likes what you made (because I am biased to my own food... and my worst critic). 


Today was yet another day of attempting things that scare/intimidate me. 


(all recipes originally found on this amazing blog). 

No comments: