Saturday, September 17, 2011

The view from right here

The best part about being twenty-something, unmarried, no kids, and living on one's own is that a person can sleep in as long as possible on a Saturday morning. For example, my body does not wake me up until 11:30. Yes, I wake up at 6ish and remind myself it is not a work day and then I sleep until 11:30. It is wonderful. Doesn't matter if I go to bed at 9pm or 2am the night before.

I was thinking about that benefit today. My roommate is busy with pre-wedding stuff and my sister is busy with college stuff and I found ways to think about the positives of my current life stage. Sleeping in is a big one. The next big one? Doing absolutely nothing if you feel like it. I can spend an entire Saturday watching movies or browsing Barnes and Noble or hanging with friends. No need to worry about the grocery store or cleaning the house or doing homework. I can do those chores during the week and spend the weekend doing nothing. 

We all have stages in life. There is a season for all things. My sister is in a season of college, which I see everyday at work. My roommate's season is changing as she is now stepping into being a wife and starting a new life together. My parents have been in an "empty nest" season as their kids have moved out (for the most part). And I am in a season of settled contentment. I am not in a season of waiting, but many months ago I may have said that and even now I think some would say that of me. They would say I am in a holding pattern in my life. I know for other people my age who are post-college and in jobs that are not their passion and unmarried, they are waiting for their next chapter. But you know what? As of this moment, I have realized that is not me, and it hasn't been for months.

The great thing about writing out your life is that you look back and see where you were at a certain time. You re-live the emotions and recall the moments and remember the seasons. So let this entry show, that I am in a season of non-waiting, of contentment, of exploring, and of becoming strong, independent, and capable. I have a career. It just sort of crept up on me, but yes, I am in a career. I am a career woman. I have gathered an urban family around me of people who are so wonderful that I wish to be more like them. I buy my own Raid and keep a screw driver close (the tool, not the drink), and I am learning to cook. I am settling into my season... my life.

I am incredibly thankful for all my seasons in life and I have been blessed to have many good ones. A good childhood, an amazing high school season, a challenging college season, a growing post-college season, and now this one. I look forward to many more seasons and am hopeful that the next one includes falling in love and being loved in return, followed by one of midnight feedings, followed by one full of soccer games and dance classes and Sunday family dinners.

But for now, I am here, and the view is pretty good from where I sit.

No comments: