Saturday, June 11, 2011

a mid-twenty-something single woman

on a weekend...

First, let me start by saying I first titled this post with the word "young" replacing the word "mid." I am 25. This age marks "mid-twenties." It's strange to realize... sort of... but I think I like it.

Okay, back to my weekend... I spent my Friday night with a close friend having a heart-to-heart over burgers. Perfect starts to the weekend.


Today, I woke up at 9am (early, but to one in their "early twenties" and on the way to sleeping in to one in her "mid-twenties")... just kidding... I woke up because I've been sleeping badly in my new apartment (but LOVE it otherwise). I read in bed for two hours and finished my book, The Help. It is AMAZING. I feel like I usually finish books and think "that was pretty good, but they don't write them like they used to," but this one made me want to shout from the rooftops about it and start reading it again. GO BUY IT. It is an incredible novel. Teaches you, frees you, and reminds you. It is a quality novel.

Then I watched TV, chatted with my roomie, and took a leisurely shower (don't you love those, when you're not late for work?). I met my good friend, Nichol, for a trip to the movies and Barnes & Noble (where I spent way too much money and bought 6 movies and a magazine and put back two more and a book). We saw Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris. It was... unexpected. Good, but random. Owen Wilson's character transports back to Paris in the 1920's and hang out with Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, and plenty more. I think I liked it because of my English background. It took me to places and conversations I used to imagine in my Hemingway and Faulkner class. I loved that about it.


Now I am spending my evening watching Season Two of Mad Men. I just ate my favorite dinner (of the moment): prosciutto, cheese, and fruit/tomato.

These are the kind of weekends I love to break up the craziness of my work week and normal busy weekends. I crave days spent with nothing to do but meet friends and watch TV. Love it.

This weekend is the best part of being a mid-twenty-something single woman.

(photo from here).

1 comment:

Amy Fields said...

So that means I need to read the Help, right?

What are you thinking of Mad Men? You know how I love it.

Your weekend sounds totally amazing. Kind of jealous. Why do I do those things called chores on days I should be enjoying???
Love you, friend!