Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Oprah

The Oprah Winfrey show ended today.

I am not handling it very well. I have cried through the last two episodes and cried again today over the last one. 

What will we do without Oprah?

What will I do without Oprah.

One of the best things about getting cable and DVR at my apartment was that I could tape Oprah every day. I could see her interview celebrities and children and victims and everyday see people re-building and changing their lives.

Oprah has been on the air for my entire life. My Mom has always loved Oprah (my Dad too in some ways), so it has been the soundtrack of my life. 

People have been asking what will be the legacy of the Oprah show? I can tell you what I think...

Oprah's legacy is to live our best life. To get an education. To read. To forgive. To leave the world better than you found it. To create the life you want. To take responsibility for your future and to learn from your past. Oprah taught us about not letting your past dictate your future. She taught us not to be the victim. She taught us to pray and grow and be better. She used her show to reach all people, regardless of race, sexual orientation, weight, religion, gender, or age. She used her show as a classroom of honesty, acceptance, and truth. Oprah used her show as a way to be your friend. Oprah is America's best girl friend.

Oprah taught me about learning from experience and not giving up. She introduced me to Anderson Cooper, Randy Pausch, and Maya Angelou. She showed me the devastation of Katrina. She recommended books to me. She was the show to watch before great movies opened to hear what she thought of them and meet the stars to get their stories of filming. Oprah let me be a fly on the wall for her conversations with George Clooney, Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks, and countless other celebrities.

Oprah ended her 4.561st show today perfectly. It was just her and the audience. It was her great last lecture. I love closure moments like this and I love that Oprah understands and lives the value of these moments.... teachable moments. 

Here were Oprah's lessons on today's last show:

She never missed a day in 25 years because she knew that her stage was what she was called to do.

"Everybody has a calling and your real job in life is to figure out what that is and get about the business of doing it."

"Live from the heart of your self."

"Each one of you has a platform... that is where your power is."

"You will receive in direct proportion to how you give."

"You have the power to change some body's life."

"Not everybody gets paid for [their calling]."

"Start embracing the life that is calling you and use your life to serve the world."

"When you know better, you do better." (she learned that from Maya Angelou).

"Nobody but you is responsible for your life." 

"You're responsible for the energy that you create for yourself and you're responsible for the energy that you bring to others."

Being responsible for yourself brings freedom.

"There is a common thread that runs through all our pain and and all of our suffering,and that is unworthiness. not feeling worthy enough to own the life you were created for." 

"You are worthy because you were born."

We all want validation.

"Everybody wants to be heard."

"What are the whispers in your life right now?"

Connect, embrace, liberate, love somebody."

She ended the show by giving her e-mail (oprah@oprah.com) to all of us, which I love because that is what a friend does when they leave their job for their next adventure in life.

And she ended her show saying "to God be the glory" and I have to agree.

No comments: