Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dream like New York


Lately I have been thinking about change. Not small changes, big changes, which I know is unusual for me considering my hatred and fear of change.

I've been thinking about moving to the east coast, especially to New York City or Washington DC. New York is a no brainer, I love it there and it feels like my soul mate in so many ways. DC because Nikki is there and two of my cousins live there as well, so I'd have some friends, which would be nice and make things less intimidating. But what would I do? Where would I work? Where would I live? So many unknowns, which is why I quickly shelf the dream.

But what if I didn't shelf it? And what if I didn't let fear and the unknown stop me? And what if I just went out on a limb? What if I move there and hate it and move back? What if.

Maybe I should be asking why not?

On my Mary Englebert desk calendar today's quote was "Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." - Mark Twain. Is that a sign?

This really all started last week when my wise coworker told me "never underestimate the value of a one way ticket." She told me to travel before I enroll in a doctorate program. I think she meant go to Italy, but I think we all know I couldn't do that given my fear of flying, but her words keep whispering to me.

Never underestimate the value of a one way ticket.

What if?

1 comment:

Amy Fields said...

You also have a friend in Chicago who would very much love your company.
Keep that in mind.
Chicago would love to have you.