Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Patience is a virtue

Or so they say.


This week has been incredibly hard. I had gum surgery on Friday morning where the "gum guy" (as I affectionatly call him) took a chunk of my tissue on the roof of my mouth (really the side... next to my back molars) and attached it to my lower gum for two of my teeth. Now, I have stitches driving me CRAZY on the roof of my mouth and pain and salt water rinses and sore brushing. I also can only eat soft (and not hot) foods, so all my meals have ranged in color from white to off white to slightly yellow in color (meaning mashed potatoes, soup, and yogurt, minus creamed spinach) and all lukewarm. This all makes me a very unhappy and grumpy camper.

Ironically, I feel like God is trying to teach me something through all of this. He is trying to teach me patience. This is a lesson I've been considering for a few months now because I have been challenged by this verse. Now, I am in a situation where I have to be patient. I physically can't eat certain foods and force faster healing, so I have to just be. This lesson is facing me in other areas of my life too right now and it just seems like all situations and annoyances and fears are staring me in the face.

I know that patience is an important characteristic to have and integrate into my life. But it has been a tough lesson for me to learn this week and I have failed at it every day. I have let my negativity get the best of me and let my patience run out about everything... from people to opportunities to guilt to Charlie Sheen.

(thanks to Erin for writing an honest post which prompted this one).

1 comment:

TAH said...

I can truly relate to your surgery. I had to have a bone fragment removed due to an old car accident. It just popped up and was cutting the inside of my mouth. I sustained 3rd degree burns to my face which caused gum damage. With this procedure, they removed the bone and grafted cadaver tissue over the area and the area that had been burned down. My pain level has been out of this world, and my patience has been very thin. This is my 3rd surgery in the past 3 months, and a total of over 60 surgeries since my car accident in 1999. Complaining is not something I do very often, but this procedure has had me feeling very defeated. I will pray for both of our healings and patience. Take Care! TAH