Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 in review



I’m not sure I have ever been so glad to see a year-end. 2010 was not my best year. Actually, it was not the best year for my family or many of my loved ones. The worst part of the year was losing Grandma. It basically shadowed all of this year. Ironically, as I write this year end post my Nana is in the hospital. Pray she heals and is fine.

Along with losing Grandma, my best friend, Rachel, lost her Dad and the Randant’s lost Marty. I have learned a lot about grief this year. I’ve learned how strong it makes people and how every person processes it differently. I’ve learned it makes holidays harder and can show up at the most random times. I’ve been reminded that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

This year has also brought personal struggles with anxiety and stress. It has brought tough work decisions and lots of difficult learning moments.

However, I hate to be “glass half-empty,” so I have to admit that there were good times in 2010 too. I wrote about some of these moments in November. The best part was my New York trip with my parents (only to be made better if my sister had been able to go). I also got to meet Anne Lamott and hear her speak, as well as attend the Glee concert. I spent a lot of time with good friends too. Plus, I graduated with my masters! So glad I am ending 2010 on a positive note.

This year I learned to be even more comfortable on my own. Learned to accept things as they are and react to minimal change in a minimal way, rather than dramatically. I cooked a Thanksgiving meal – and enjoyed it. And spent a lot of time relaxing, which sounds lazy, but is actually quite wonderful.

It has certainly been a year of change, learning, faith, and perseverance.

No comments: