Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Sunday sermon...

...because tomorrow I will forget and will need to be reminded again and again and again.

I am the daughter of a Living God. A God who remembers that I am dust. That I am nothing. That I have more sin in me than even I am aware of or can handle. He knows that I can never be perfect, even if I tried really, really hard. I am the daughter of a Heavenly Father who has more love for me than I could ever understand. More love for me than there are grains of sand over every piece of beach on this world. I am the daughter of a Lord who bestows more grace than I can ever contain. My cup runeth over with grace. He forgave me before I was born. He has already forgiven me for every bad thing I could ever do, word I could ever say, or thought I could ever think. God forgave me when he sent his son Jesus to die on the cross for my sins. It was all forgiven that day.

The Lord knows I am not perfect, but loves me anyway. There is nothing I can ever do to fully repay Him, but the amazing thing is that he’ll take what I’ve got to offer. All God asks of me is to give Him my whole life. To ask Him into my heart and to live for him everyday. He asks me to let Him have control. To give him my wants, thoughts, anger, joy, money, future, job, past, relationships, and family. God asks me to wake up everyday and to obey Him, as outlined in His word. But his two greatest commandments are this: Love God. Love others. Period. That’s it. That’s life. That’s my purpose. That’s His will. Anything that subtracts from that or clouds that is my own sin. My own cloudiness of judgment. My own issue. And all I have to do is look to Him and be reminded: Love Him. Love others.

Easier said than done.

I not only fail every day, I fail every hour. There is a hymn that says “I need Thee every hour” and that is my truth. But that’s the beauty of God, He doesn’t ask me to try alone. He knows I am not up to the task. But with Him – His grace, His discipline, His mercy, His kindness, and His Kingdom of believers – I can do it.

It’s simple really.

He loved me enough to die for me and make a place for me in Heaven, so in return I love Him enough to follow what He says with my measly life everyday… ever hour… and when I continue to fall, He reaches out His hand and helps me up and walks beside me.
One of the best truths I’ve ever learned is that God doesn’t ask us to look out at our road and see how far we still have yet to go before he takes us home. No, God asks us to take it – to take life – one step at a time. One day at a time. One hour at a time. And before you know it, you will look behind you and see how far he has brought you. What he’s brought you through. You’ll realize you’re still walking. You’re still standing. You’re still loved by Him. And in that small moment, all will be okay. In that small moment, you will be content and loved and renewed for the rest of the steps ahead… one by one… while walking with God.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Wow - preach it, sister!