Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Redecorated room

Finally, pictures of my redecorated room!!!

A huge THANK YOU to my good friend, Nichol, who gave up an entire Saturday to help me and offered great ideas, inspiration, and muscle to our project. I could not have done it without her.

First, the before (didn’t take very many… sorry!):


Then, after moving furniture, two trips to Target, a long time in Ikea, a trip to Office Max, Best Buy, and Aaron Brothers, building a bookcase, and attempting to hang pictures (those will happen later), here is the after:





Above was the four wall view. Below are some "special touch" explanations...

Nichol thought to put both lamps on my desk to frame and balance my computer. She also gave them some height using a few of my hardback classic books. Love this!


I love my bookcases! I bought a third one and it really elongates the room. I learned through this project that bookshelves really are pieces of art. They add color and design automatically, which is great. In the center there are two framed pictures. They are wedding photos of my Great-Grandma/Grandpa and my Grandma/Grandpa on their wedding days. I've wanted to do that for a long time. I also want to add my parents and my grandparents and great grandparents from the other side of the family. Someday I hope to have a whole wall of old family photographs.


These are the pictures I will be hanging. The frame you can't see is a photo that holds 16 pictures, which I will fill with photos of my trips to New York (NY is a theme in my room). The big black and white photo is of Central Park in the winter with a view of The Plaza. I bought it at Aaron Brothers and will hang it on the wall next to my bed. Below that photo I will hang five New Yorker covers (which are the bottom two frames in the above pic). The frame on the right spells "Carrie" in door knobs and stair rails and was a birthday gift from my parents. I love it and will hang it over the entrance to my room.

Finally, in prepping my room to take these pictures I had to hide some clutter and regular pieces of stuff that sit on my desk, etc. I had a whole new appreciation for bedroom magazine spreads. I never realized how much regular living clutter they have to remove to take such elegant pictures. No one's house regularly looks that perfect when lived in. So, in an effort toward full disclosure, here is what my room regularly looks like:

Stuff next to the desk that I haven't yet found a space for...
I've been pushing my ottoman to act as a nightstand for my phone and remotes at night. It makes for less clutter in my room to use it as an all purpose item. The book is Elizabeth Gilbert's "Committed" that I just started this week.

So there you have it!

7 comments:

kathrynmorton said...

Carrie! I LOVE it!!! So cute! When I get a house you can come help me! Hope you are well :)

Jan said...

Love it, too!! The bookcases and chair are really great.

Josh, Chrissie & Matthew said...

Love it Carrie, the room looks GREAT!

Sarah said...

You're ready for HGTV! I love it, Carrie!

Amy Fields said...

So fun! You have such a big room! So much to work with! Love the red chair!

Rachel said...

OMG CARRIE!!!! Yep, I rhymed :-) This looks fabulous!!!!!!!!!! Very you...and me hehehehe

Aunt Karen said...

Wow! It's a total makeover! How neat! Does this friend travel?