Monday, March 8, 2010

An Open Letter to Members of the Academy

I love the Oscars. I love award shows about films, but the Oscars are like BIG to me. Love them. I have loved them since The English Patient won Best Picture in 1996. So, in honor of my love and my many opinions, here is an open letter to certain members of the Academy…

To the “girl next door” Sandra Bullock:
I am so happy for you! I know you were the talk of Tinsel Town today, but you were even the talk of my office. Some of my co-workers only watched the Oscars to see you win. People just feel they can sit down and chat with you. We all like to see the nice girl win, and you seem like a very nice girl. Loved your nominated role, but I will always say I enjoy you because of “While You Were Sleeping.”

To the first female director to ever win an Oscar, Kathryn Bigelow:

Your win made many of us females very proud to be women. I remember being a freshman in college and my best friend, Jamie, wanted to be a film director so badly. She hoped to be the first female to win. We used to dream about it and we are so happy for you now. Please understand how big this is for women. It is okay to talk about the lack of females in the industry and you should! I continue to read quotes by you that you just hope men and women can achieve their goals, but why can’t you mention women specifically? Anyway, regardless how you may feel about the topic, you still made us proud, especially because you made a legit war movie as a female! Even more impressive (and congrats on beating your ex this year… that’s got to be a bit satisfying, as well as enjoyable, since he had to stare at the back of your head the whole night instead of the other way around). P.S. I think you should date Jeremy Renner.

To my new favorite “it girl,” Carey Mulligan:

You are adorable and classy and seem so sweet. You are my new favorite girl in Hollywood. You have amazing talent and so deserved your nomination. “An Education” was definitely my favorite movie of 2009 and possibly one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. I will be buying it on March 30th. Can’t wait to see you in your next movie.

To the incredibly classy, Meryl Streep:

You are brilliant and beautiful and everything actors should strive to be.

To the men who stole the red carpet: Ryan Reynolds, Matt Damon, Zac Efron, and Jake Gyllenhaal.
Well, I guess, thanks for showing up. :)

And of course, to the man who needs no introduction, George Clooney:

People are confused by your “mood” at the awards last night, and while I know it is partly because you were bored with your date because you weren’t there with me, I think people didn’t get the joke. You always give deadpan looks when hosts are trying to joke with you as part of their joke. I got it and I laughed. Also, it did not go un-noticed by some journalists (and viewers) that you took time to sign autographs and shake the hands of fans off the red carpet. Classy and kind… good combo.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Great blog! Made me laugh out loud!

Rachel said...

Sometimes, I feel very honored to know you. This is one of those times. Thanks for the smiles and the laughs!