Sunday, March 14, 2010

Daddy's girl


I just finished watching a movie called “Everybody’s Fine.” It was a classic “Carrie” film: depressing, tears are involved, and all about family relationships. Movies about family (no matter how complex) are my favorite. This one particularly touched me. It reminded me of an Arthur Miller story. All about the hard-working father who wants the American Dream of a happy home and successful kids. The kind of father who works hard and makes sacrifices and expects a lot of his kids because he so believes they can take on the world. He believes his kids can do anything they want to and be the best at it. He believes they will be nothing but successful and happy because he sees how smart they are and how driven they can be.
The father in the film reminded me a lot of my Dad. How much my Dad loves his daughters. How he believes we can accomplish anything and be the absolute best. How he thinks we are smart and capable and strong. He raised us to be that way and he wants us to reach our full potential, because he believes we totally can. I have always wanted to make my Dad proud. I know he believes I am capable of great things and I want to show him that.
I have always known that my Dad loves me and is proud of me and supports me and trusts me, and I love that… almost as much as I love him.

No comments: