Monday, February 1, 2010

Sick day hatred

I hate migraines.

Today I have one so bad that I am missing work.

I hate missing work. Not so much because I love what I do or because I love where I work (although most of my coworkers are pretty great), but because I have a super strong sense of responsibility and avoid "slacker-ism" when at all possible.

Mostly I hate missing work because I have an even bigger sense of guilt than responsibility. I feel like everyone judges your reason for missing work. I feel like, when you return to the office, you get looks ranging from "super pity" (implying you were on your death bed and are you sure you're okay?) to "complete faker without a conscience" (implying you must have gone skydiving or driven to Vegas and were having so much fun you just couldn't be bothered to come join the rest of us poor working slobs). I hate this.

But, I want you to know, I really do have a migraine and I really did try to go to work today (meaning, I showered and blew dry my hair). I am literally pinching my forehead in pain, tried to sleep it off, and am wearing my PJs. Is that good enough to qualify a sick day?

So, here I am.

I hate sick days almost as much as migraines.
(photo: from here, first seen here).

No comments: