Friday, February 26, 2010

Flying February

Whew! It is about time I updated this blog! The whole goal of updating every other day has gone completely out the window! But I will try to be better. Life is just so busy. I don’t even have time to sit at the computer and check my Facebook after work these days! So how about an update…
Two weekends ago we had a family reunion at my parents’ house. My mom’s three sisters and their mom came to stay for a long weekend (and then some). My Aunt Karen’s family came with her for the weekend as well. It was fun to see everyone but pretty overwhelming by the end of it! The house was full of voices, laughter, yummy food, and full beds. My sister and I stayed at a good family friend’s house to provide extra beds for the visiting family.
Last weekend I worked a conference that I help out with every year. It is put on by my former employer. I love to go back and help out with it because I am able to catch up and reconnect with old friends and coworkers. I also just love the energy of being a lead volunteer staff of a conference: answering questions, setting things up, helping people. It is exhausting but gratifying. I loved being able to see a few friends I haven’t talked to in a while, especially two of my former high school teachers who I absolutely love and miss. Running into them was definitely a weekend highlight. I assumed that when I left working this conference I wouldn’t leave wanting to work there again because I am happy with my current position, however, once again, when I left I was sad to go. It hit me unexpectedly as I was driving back home. It is so strange and confusing to want to work so badly at one place and be so very happy and fulfilled at another. Is this what grown up work life is always like or am I just too positive about my career opportunities?
To add to my busy weekends, I am currently in the third week of my current school term and taking two classes! I typically take one, but with two this term I am at “full-time student” status and it feels like it. The worst part (other than having class twice a week for 5 hours after an 8 hour work day) is that both classes are dry and dense and incredibly boring. This would be painful for anyone, but as a person who LOVES my grad program and lives to learn, this term is exceptionally painful and disappointing. My sister keeps telling me I am crazy for taking these two classes at the same time (especially because one of them is considered the most difficult class of the program), but I figure I’d rather get the out of the way in one set and get back into enjoyable classes with wonderful teachers and fun peers.
Hope each of you are doing well!

No comments: