Tuesday, January 19, 2010

More than an accessory

Today I wore a scarf that my dear friend Nikki bought for me in Afghanistan. It is beautiful. As I put it on this morning I was reminded of the fact that I am wearing my scarf to work. I am wearing it as a fashion accessory and not as a head covering fabric. I am wearing it to a place where I am respected as a woman and allowed to direct men. I am wearing it as a drive my car, unaccompanied, in public, to go where I please without a male “babysitter.” I wore the scarf today with a prayer in my heart for the women of Afghanistan (and the Middle East in general) who can not go do the things I did today. The things I take for granted at times. I wore the scarf as a symbolic reminder of sisterhood and a personal reminder of my passion and call in life – to bring awareness and help to women’s issues globally and domestically.
My heart is for women’s equality. I know many people think this is a ridiculous goal, especially those in America because here women are “equal,” but they are wrong. Even in America women are not equal. Yes, we have many more rights and freedoms than our sisters in the Middle East, but we still live under stereotypes, less pay, crude comments, objectification, and in a cloak of invisibility about our worth, abilities, and opinions. There is a great article I found through the Huffington Post (sorry Mom) about America and gender equality that really says what I believe and continually try to put into words. One of the best quotes is this:

“Understandably, people will make arguments for how well off American women are in comparison to decades ago or even to other countries. However, claiming that present-day American women have it the best doesn't say anything about how things really are. The comparison should be between men and women rather than among women to accurately understand the glaring chasm. And what's even more frustrating is we've gotten so far away from women's rights being on the table, that many women and girls don't even see the problem.”

Do me a favor and read the article (found here). Read it and know a big piece of my heart and passion, and therefore, me.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Thank you my dear. I love you bunches!!!!

Ashley said...

Some women proudly wear their scarves because it represents who they are, their culture, and a lifestyle they choose. Not everyone woman is being forced into a life controlled by men. In fact, some women wearing head scarves would still choose to given the choice to not.

Carrie said...

Yes, now if only women were allowed to make choices on their own...

Aunt Karen said...

I agree totally. You are right on!