Monday, January 18, 2010

Life’s earthquakes

The earthquake in Haiti has been on the world’s mind this week, as it should. I’ve been praying that the Lord will be revealed in that place in a big way. Praying that the earthquake was a way to rock their world open to the message of Christ. I’ve been reading articles and blogs that say God is all over that country. That most of the people there believe in God, but they also practice Voodoo. I have heard others say that Haiti is one of the darkest places they’ve ever been to. That when they look in people’s eyes they see nothing but darkness. My prayer is simply that the Lord will take a hold of the people there and bring peace, comfort, and salvation. My other prayer is that we will all be okay when the big earthquake hits LA (as many say it will). I hate earthquakes. This has made me think about getting an earthquake kit ready for my apartment, just in case, and to save money, because as some have said, the US won’t get nearly as much aid sent to them as third world countries, even though we’ll need it just as badly.
Oh, and in the effort of full-disclosure, I have also been praying that God will use the tragedy in Haiti to speak to the heart of Anderson Cooper. Is that lame? Haha. I just love him and I know God works in mysterious ways, and if Haitians believe in God and missionaries are heading over there, then maybe someone will be a witness to Anderson as he is reporting from there. His voice for the Lord could make a huge impact.
This week I have also been thinking about friends’ personal earthquakes. Earthquakes happen in the blink of an eye. They happen unexpectedly and suddenly life will never be the same. Personal earthquakes have happened in the lives of some good friends. One personally and one in her family. These women’s lives have been shaken to their foundation and I can’t help but think about the “aid” they need too. Life just seems so fragile and uncontrollable this week. It has been such an important reminder about how much we – and especially me – need God and His provision.

No comments: