Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The decade I lost life’s training wheels


Many magazine and newspaper writers are saying this decade has not been one of our best. It has been full of high unemployment rates, natural disasters, terrorism and war, and a terrible economy, and while all of this is true, my experience has been quite different.
This decade brought the 9/11, Obama as President, the age of Apple, two wars, an obsession with Orange County, and many gold medals for Michael Phelps. It was the decade of social networking with Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter… and blogs.
On a personal level, this decade has been crucial to my growth and development, which given my age is no surprise, but I am going to write about it anyway, as any time we move into a new decade is impressive and a perfect time for reflecting.
2000-2009 were the years I became an adult. The decade before was full of me growing up and learning skills and social behaviors and establishing a foundation, where as this decade has been about shaking that foundation, learning about myself and experiencing life. It was the decade I lost life’s training wheels.
In this decade I graduated junior high, high school, and college. I made lifelong friends – many of them who I have known and been close to this whole decade. I began my adult life. I figured out more of who I am, what I want, where I’m going, and how to create the life I need. This decade brought me a love education, a passion for women’s rights, a growing and challenging walk with the Lord, a core group of friends, chances to travel, an obsession with books and writing, an understanding about the world we live in, an interest in politics, a lesson in love, and lots of laughter, friendships, and great memories.
(photo from here.)

No comments: