Sunday, December 13, 2009

Adentures in Cooking: Asparagus and Smoked Salmon Bundles

I am cooking… a bit. I blame it (in part) on my friend Nichol and her lovely food blog. I “baked” for my work Christmas party last Thursday night. I say “baked” because I actually made No Bake Cookies (my Grandma’s recipe). I went over to Nichol’s house so she could help and inspire me, and so we could spend some time together. I also went over because I love her kitchen and hate mine (but you already know that…haha).
Tonight, I made Asparagus and Smoked Salmon Bundles. Well, sort of. I ate them together anyway! The bindles didn’t work out that well, but everything tasted great! So, in a complete copying mode of Nichol, here is what I did:
I got the recipe from Giada De Laurentiis on Food Network’s website. I have been having a craving for asparagus and love salmon lox.
First, I roasted the asparagus. I laid it out on a baking sheet. I covered the baking sheet in foil for easy clean up (I am anti-washing dishes). I drizzled it in Olive Oil (maybe too much because it was smoking in the oven and popping up off the baking sheet) and salt and pepper. I roasted it at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Then, I let it cool while I got the salmon ready.

Really, I just opened the package and tried to find the thin slices…which is where I ran into my problem. The salmon lox weren’t sliced the way Giada’s picture looked and I tried to wrap one piece…
But then realized I would probably end up cutting the asparagus and eating it in bite size pieces with the lox, so I just did that (which I’m sure Giada wouldn’t do). I paired my meal with white wine, Trader Joe’s Two Buck Chuck (or as the classy call it, Charles Shaw’s) Pinto Grigio.

It really was yummy and very easy.

1 comment:

nichol said...

This looks (and sounds) super yummy! I love the combination of salmon and asparagus. SO fun friend :)