Thursday, November 26, 2009

Top Ten: Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has become one of my favorite holidays. I realized this in high school. For years I had loved Christmas the most, because of the lights and the tree and the Christmas music playing in every store and restaurant and because of the spirit of Christmas you can literally feel all around. Not to mention the birth of Jesus, my Lord and Savior. However, I have really come to appreciate Thanksgiving. I think it’s because it is so understated. There are not massive parties on Thanksgiving, no gifts are exchanged, people don’t dress up like Turkeys and ring door bells. The whole holiday is just one day (unless you go to a Thanksgiving Eve service the night before) and it is all centered on being grateful for what you have, not what you want – and, let’s face it, it is a day centered on food, which is also a plus. I also love it because growing up it was the holiday we most often hosted at our home, and despite the craziness it takes to get our home into “hospitality mode,” I love having holidays there.

Here is the Top Ten list of what I am thankful for this year:

1. A permanent job in a new position with co-workers I love, who take care of me and have become good friends (especially Marci).

2. My parents, for knowing when to let me be a grown up and when to comfort me like a kid.

3. My sister, for being a good friend (and for not hating me now that we live together again).

4. My good friend, Nichol, because she is intentional, wonderful, inspiring, and Godly, and we have great talks.

5. New family. Meeting my new aunt, uncle, and cousins has been a huge blessing.

6. I am thankful that I still play phone tag with those far away, including Rachel, Amy, and Nikki.

5. Good health (for me and my family).

6. My friend, Kristy, because she and I have such a great time together and she always lets me know I am missed when we don’t hang out (we hang out at least twice a week and I love it!). She has been a crucial part in making life feel so stable in LA this year. 7. A church to attend in LA, Montana’s to dance at every weekend, and a grad program I completely enjoy.

8. Being able to go home when I need to and be rejuvenated. I still consider San Diego home and love to be reminded of why through being with my parents, sleeping in my bed, seeing Lucy (my dog), going to North Coast Church, bumping into old friends, and smelling the ocean from wherever I go.

9. A growing social life with friends.

10. Understanding, one year later, how much the Lord loves me, even when life is very hard (partly in thanks to my counselor, Carol, who I love). I am living proof that God is faithful and will change your life, because a year ago everything in life - and everything in my spiritual life - was upside down and now things are peaceful and healthy and continuing to improve. The Lord has really made His grace clear to me this year and I rest in that lesson daily.

(photo is Norman Rockwell)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Next year we definitely need to dress up like turkeys and ring door bells ;)