Monday, July 27, 2009

Oh, “The Bachelorette”


I just watched one of the most romantic proposals on "The Bachelorette" that I have seen in the ten-something seasons it has been on. Reid coming back was (or maybe seemed?) so real. It was heart-wrenching and romantic.
The Bachelor and Bachelorette is a fascinating show. I have watched it nearly every season and it never ceases to make me think about if I could ever go on it. I find it an interesting experiment in human relationships, bonding, attraction, and love. Sometimes it reminds me of a modern day “arranged marriage” because the contestants are chosen for you. But that is actually one of the coolest ideas about the show, that a whole team of people are in charge of picking the “perfect” match for you based on your own criteria out of hundreds or thousands of applicants.
Everyone always complains about how lame The Bachelorette and Bachelor are because of the idea that you can fall in love and be engaged within six weeks (or is it eight?). But, I don’t think it is that crazy, especially in that environment. Tonight Reid worded it perfectly, he pointed out that they are all in their own “world” and although it is not the “real world,” it is still real. It is still real people with emotions and opinions and fears and pasts. It is just a unique experience in love. In fact, I typically defend the idea of being on the show, as crazy as many think it is, because I don’t think it is any less crazy than meeting someone online, especially a match making service like eHarmony. It is not even much different than a blind date. Maybe the fact it is a TV show adds a bit of an extra dimension, and of course there is the fact that you get a proposal when all is said and done. I do agree that part is a bit of a stretch.
As I wrote this entry I was watching The Bachelorette, so when I started this entry Reid was proposing, but now the show is over and (spoiler warning) Jillian and Ed are engaged. One of the most convincing moments of tonight that this show is real and “unscripted” is the excitement Jillian showed on her face the moment she saw Ed. She was smiling like a fool! And when he finally got down on his knee she was doing everything she could to contain herself and keep from jumping up and down with joy. It was adorable and precious.
I thought the best line of Jillian and Ed would be after Reid left when Jillian said, “Ed better not (bleeping) disappoint me,” because it was hilariously honest. Then I thought the cutest line was when Ed proposed by saying, "I want you to give me a hard time when we're 80 years old." But the best line was actually after the proposal when Jillian exclaimed, “Do you have any idea how much fun were gonna have?!” She is engaged to her best friend, and that is what she wanted on The Bachelor with Jason, so that in itself is adorable. I love the idea that Jillian thinks marriage with Ed will be a fun and exhilarating adventure.
P.S. I think one of the best parts of being on The Bachelorette would be to get to know Chris Harrison. :)

1 comment:

Amy Fields said...

I JUST watched the finale (and intentionally avoided all of the internet today, just so that I would be surprised!). I am SOOOO bummed. I was totally rooting for Kiptyn! Well, at least the next season of the Bachelor will be good, with him as the Bachelor, I assume?