Monday, July 13, 2009

Family Time




First off, just need to shout with joy that I FINALLY have internet in my (new) apartment!!!!! Yay! So happy about this very small thing! Okay, now on to things that matter…
Some of the “Texas family” came to visit California for the week and began their vacation at our house. It was SO wonderful to spend time with them! I love them. Nana, Uncle Keith, Aunt Sue, Brian, Whitney, and baby Ainsley came to stay. We definitely had a house-full, which was a lot of fun. There were beds every where. Nana stayed in my room, Brian and Whitney and Ains were in Ash’s room, Aunt Sue and Uncle Keith were on a blow up mattress in the office, and Ash and I were on a blow up mattress in the bonus room. It is always a fun kind of chaos with a house that full. I like it that way. Poor Lucy (our dog) was a bit overwhelmed with so many people around and did not know what to do with Ainsley, so she ignored her and looked a bit depressed all weekend with so many people stealing her space and attention.
The fam came in around midnight on Saturday, so we went to bed pretty soon after that. The next morning I set my alarm early to have maximum playing time with Ainsley! We enjoyed bagels and a lazy morning. Then Brian, Whitney, Ash, Chris (Ash’s boyfriend) and I went to Old Town San Diego and enjoyed yummy margaritas and $8 guacamole. Then we drove down to Coronado Island and looked around the Hotel Del. Remind me that someday I want to stay there for a weekend getaway…or get married there (just kidding…sort of). We all had a backyard BBQ that night. Later Aunt Sue, Whitney, Mom, Ash and I watched the first half of “White Christmas.” It may have been my favorite moment of the weekend. It is a movie that is so central to who all of us are and how we celebrate the holidays. My mom and her sisters all grew up watching “White Christmas” every holiday. My mom says they would pour over the TV guide every December looking for when it would be on and that when the sisters had all moved out on their own they would call each other when it was on TV. Now, years later, Whitney, Ash, and I all love the movie, so watching it together was so bonding and wonderful. It was definitely a moment to remember for me.
Today we all had lunch at The Beach House in San Diego and it was awesome. We reserved a spot on the patio and when the tide is high enough waves literally crash on the rocks behind you and may get you wet. Luckily, the tide was low while we were there, but eating right on the beach was incredible. It was a gorgeous day and the ocean was beautiful. Whenever I am near the ocean I ask myself why I have not moved back to San Diego yet. I love being by the ocean. I love the way it smells and how beautiful it is and the way the air feels on your skin and how you can still smell and feel it when you get back home. My food was also great. I had a steamed shellfish combination full of my favorites: crab legs, shrimp, scallops, and mussels. Yum! That food is one way to my good side. Then we all went to Stone Brewery in Escondido to go beer tasting. Only five of us could get tickets for the actual tour though. It was sort of interesting, but the coolest part is that it’s free and at the end you can sample up to four beers. I just couldn’t get over that is was free. Afterward we came home, had dinner, and all of us who had to head north left. Just before leaving though I got to spend more time with Ains (sorry I hog time with her, Ash, but at least you make her laugh!). I even got to bathe her! It was awesome and so fun. She is a sweetie and I just adore spending time with her. I love babies. They make everything right in the world. When I hold one I have no cares or worries, I am just all about the bundle of innocence and wonder and joy in my arms.
Anyway, it was great weekend and starting tomorrow my week will be very busy and possibly overwhelming, especially considering that I am taking Wednesday off to join the Texas fam at Disneyland, but it’s worth it. In the end, life is too short and family is too important to not take time off work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carrie, These pictures of you and Ainsley are adorable! I'm so glad you had such a great time with the fam! I hope you have a great time at Disneyland tomorrow too! :)
Love, Ilise