Monday, June 1, 2009

I am about to get all "preachy"...

Last night in church I was very convicted – well, I think convicted may be the wrong word because of how negative it is – I was... convinced to let myself accept something about God that I have a difficult time remembering. The Lord whispered in my heart last night during worship that I need to remember He loves me JUST AS I AM. This sounds like a no duh, but it is harder to comprehend than it seems. God loves me – and you – just as you are RIGHT NOW. Not for how you’ve improved, not for what you will become with Him, but who you are right now. Sins, bad moods, short tempers, mistakes, whatever. He loves you, even with those bad characteristics and habits. As Psalm 103:13&14 says, “As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.” I am always so hard on myself and how I daily fall short in my walk with God. But last night, God kept reminding me “I love you just the way you are. Just the way you are. Just. The. Way. You. Are.” (He says this in Psalm 139). He had to keep repeating it because I kept saying, “no, You can’t. I don’t deserve it.” He knows that. He knows I don’t deserve it. That is called grace. Grace is a free gift that we don’t deserve and we get anyway. We don’t deserve perfect, forgiving, unconditional, or eternal love, but we get it when we confess that Jesus is Lord and ask Him into our hearts and commit to love and follow Him only (Romans 10:9&10). I often remind myself that we don’t obey God and His Word because we have to earn our salvation to keep reassuring ourselves we’ll go to Heaven, we obey His commands because we love Him back. He paid the ultimate price for me and the least I can do is give Him my life. James 2:18 says “But someone will say, ‘You have faith; I have deeds.’ Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.” I don’t follow him perfectly, I don’t even think of this gift of grace daily, but thankfully (and grace-fully) His mercies renew every morning. That is what I strive for: to wake up everyday and give that day to God. To God be the glory…everyday.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Thanks; I needed that.