Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day







I’m not entirely sure how I feel about today, but maybe that is okay. All I know is that I have to write something down before the day is over, and here it is (thank you, blog).

Today, history was made and I am alive to see it happen. I am part of it in that sense. It is pretty moving. Regardless of politics or who you voted for, this moment is incredible. A black man is the president of America. Equality has come in a big way and racial reconciliation can truly be seen. I am proud to be part of a country that “peacefully” transfers power and who elects a man based on principles and not because of the color of his skin.

This morning I watched the Inauguration ceremony at work live on the internet. I was able to watch Rick Warren’s prayer and then had to leave for a meeting, but I came back in time to see the Bush’s and the Obama’s say goodbye and Mr. and Mrs. Bush board a plane to go back to “real life” in their beloved state of Texas. I watched with several co-workers, which in itself was a bit surreal, yet nice. I was just glad to see some of it “live” rather than watch the replays all day. It was hard to be at work and not at home on the couch watching the events all morning, which in my opinion, is the way history should be watched when you can’t physically be there. I think it is important to soak up historical moments. This is a day that my future kids or people at cocktail parties or others will ask me and one another, “Where were you when the first black man became president?” Today was my parents’ generation’s moment of “where were you when Kennedy was shot?” Although now they can say they saw Obama be sworn in too.

I’m not sure what the future holds and I don’t know if Obama will be a good President (in my opinion). But I do know that today is history in the making and I witnessed it. I know that when President Obama and the First Lady dance together, I can’t help but smile and pray for a similar partnership built on love and respect and laughter and normalcy. I know that it will be very fun to see two little girls grow up in the White House (just as the Bush twins described). And I know that no matter what, God is in control and we should pray for our political leaders. God bless the Obama and Bush families tonight.

No comments: