Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Top 10: Happy Thanksgiving!

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I can’t believe it is already here! Crazy how time flies… My Grandma is always telling me this and the older I get the more I believe her.
Tomorrow is my first holiday where I won’t be waking up with my family in the morning. It is a very strange feeling. I mean, I have missed birthdays before and random holidays (Halloween, anyone?), but never a REAL holiday. You know, one that matters, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. I will see my family tomorrow and end the evening back home in San Diego, but in the morning I will be in my apartment. If I didn’t believe I was an adult before tomorrow certainly marks an important moment in my adult life. I think even in spite of the craziness and dysfunction that sometimes happens when trying to get out the door on a holiday, I will definitely miss not being home in the morning.
Below is my Top 10 list of what I am thankful for this year, but as I write this a few more things crossed my mind, so before you read the list let's start with the depressing things and then end on a happy note.
The depressing note: I need to say that I am very thankful for national security because I heard about an attack at a YWAM in India toward Christians. Then I heard about the attacks in Mumbai against Westerners. It is very scary to hear about all of this and I am very thankful that I live in America. But it doesn't change that I get nervous about all of this persecution and random violence. I am SO very thankful that my Dad wasn't in Mumbai this week! He was there several weeks ago when I was in New York and I can't imagine (nor do I want to) what we all would have been thinking had this happened then. This is exactly why I need to get a passport finally. In addition to all of this international worry, I continue to hear anti-Obama comments almost daily and sometimes they are comments claiming that he is the anti-Christ. This completely freaks me out for a ton to reasons. But, tonight I watched the Obama's interview with Barbara Walters and every time I watch an interview with Obama and his wife I feel so much more confident about things. They seem to be so in love and family focused and kind. These are the traits I need to remember until I have a real reason not to (like those in India about their leaders).

The happy note: I am thankful for…
1. God’s grace, provision, guidance, and comfort. Without Him none of the above would exist or have happened. It is the Lord who has brought me this far and He will keep me going.
2. My family: Dad, Mom, and Ash (Dad for always providing for me, Mom for always comforting me, and Ash for always supporting me – note: technically, all three of you do all three of these things).
3. Grad school (lately this is the happiest aspect of my life)
4. My roommates (Ilise and Emily…I’ve realized that I never name them on my blog!)
5. Earning my undergrad degree
6. My job – mostly my co-workers and my supervisor
7. Buying my first car
8. North Coast Church
9. My house and apartment – given the fires lately I am very grateful for a safe (and standing) place to live
10. Having been blessed with incredible teachers and mentors growing up – my teaching class has been reminding me how blessed I’ve been in the classroom

Plus, I can’t help adding lame things that make me thankful including…
1. Thanksgiving episodes of “Friends” (the best are the football episode and the one with Richard’s son)
2. Chocolate
3. Ryan Seacrest’s morning show
4. Family dinner with my roommates
5. Cold days (as in 70 degrees or less…I know, some of you live in places where that is considered summer)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You know what I can't believe...THAT I GET TO SEE YOU IN LESS THAN A MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!