Friday, October 17, 2008

There's No Place Like Home


I am writing from home in San Diego tonight and am very happy to be doing so. It is strange how during this transitional period of my life I somehow live in two places. I have my apartment and I have my parents' house. Both feel familiar and offer two totally different routines and habits. The thing is, though, I love my San Diego home more. It is my "real home" no matter how much I try to adapt in my apartment. At the end of the day, San Diego is where I want to be. It is nice to be home. Nice to be with my family, no matter how dysfunctional we are or how often we remind each other of that fact. It is still the place I'd rather fall asleep at night and wake up to in the morning.
I love coming home after a few weeks of being away because everything seems so much more beautiful and nostalgic. I love to run errands because every street is familiar and every place holds a memory. I don't feel like a stranger here, I don't have to keep pushing myself to do new things. I am in my comfort zone, my safety net. Plus, there is the smell and sight of the ocean and my really great church. It doesn't get much better than that. Don't get me wrong, for the next few years of my life I am satisfied to spend my time in my apartment with my roommates enjoying my job and pursuing my grad degree. It is a decision I do not regret and intend to keep. Part of the magic and comfort of coming home to my house is because I don't live here anymore. It is no longer something I take for granted, and without my apartment and moving away that never would have happened. I'm just trying to say that when all is said and done Dorothy was right, "there's no place like home."

2 comments:

Rachel said...

But don't you think you could find your "real home," oh in say...Texas...? Specifically Lubbock? I'm just sayin... ;-) Besides I am still convinced that Dorothy in Oz got the better end of the deal...I mean see got to see in color, what could be better lol ;-)

Rachel said...

Hey! Since when does Dorothy wear a RED dress???????????