Monday, October 27, 2008

Leave your old jalopy by the railroad tracks

I am having big thoughts about the economy and the state of the country (and the world) at present. I just keep thinking about the 1930s and the Great Depression. Every time I think about the economy that is exactly where my mind goes. I see Steinbeck. I picture jalopies, empty houses, big families traveling across the country together, new communities of people packed in tiny houses begging for work with the start of a new day, and lots and lots of fruit trees (this whole sentence should prove to both Ms. Le and Dr. Bentz that I did take away something from “The Grapes of Wrath”).
I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking that I am being a bit dramatic and thinking the worst. You also made me wondering what the heck is a jalopy?! But, my thoughts of the original Great Depression simply remind me that people survived then and we will survive now. People never know how strong they are until they face adversity, and if the numbers are correct, we are about to face it. In the 1930’s people grew their own food, let go of extravagances, and patched their clothes. They had to move to new places and rely on strangers. They learned very quickly what really matters in life and that loved one are the reason to get up every morning and put on a brave face. These people survived. We will too.

P.S. Any one who can name what song and movie this blog title came from gets major props!
...
"The bank is something more than men, I tell you. It's the monster. Men made it, but they can't control it." ~ John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

"And the great owners, who must lose their land in an upheaval, the great owners with access to history, with eyes to read history and to know the great fact: when property accumulates in too few hands it is taken away. And that companion fact: when a majority of the people are hungry and cold they will take by force what they need. And the little screaming fact that sounds through all history: repression works only to strengthen and knit the repressed." ~ John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

(photo credit here)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wink and a Smile

Sleepless in Seatle

jamie said...

i ADORE that photo. and, of course, Steinbeck. well done, dear.