Thursday, September 25, 2008

New York, New York

“I’m a New Yorker, fear’s my life.” ~ “Rent”

“Don’t you just love New York in the fall?” ~ “You’ve Got Mail”

“New York. He’s on his way to New York.” ~ “Sleepless in Seattle”

“New York, New York what a wonderful town!” ~ “On the Town”


Goodbye for two weeks, friends! I am leaving for New York City on Sunday morning. I am so excited! New York is one of my favorite cities. I love it. I even have a dream of living there for at least a year someday, but we’ll see what God’s plans are.

I could definitely use your prayers because I HATE to travel, especially fly. It is so hard for me and takes a lot of prayer and courage. I know that once I land in NYC I will be okay. I’ve been reading my bible for comfort this week and praying a lot specifically about the trip. The verse that continues to bring me comfort is Philippians 4:6-7, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” In addition to that verse, I found a relating quote in Anne Lamott’s Traveling Mercies (read it!). It says, “(Marge) said, ‘You just give it all to God. You just give it all to the Boss. We used to say in the South, if you pray, don’t worry, and if you worry, don’t pray.” So, every time I worry I stop myself and remember that I can’t pray and worry, I can only worry or pray, and I would be crazy not to choose prayer. The Lord has never let me down and my life is His, not my own, no matter how much I try to ignore that fact.

The first time I ever went to The City was October 2003. I was a senior and was so excited but didn’t know what to expect. Would it be like it is in the movies? Would be too overwhelming? Would I get lost? Would it be too intimidating? Yes was the answer to all of the above questions, well, surprisingly, not really the lost question. I find my way around The City pretty well (thank goodness for the number grid layout). The taxi ride was crazy, but as soon as we drove out of the massive tunnel between JFK airport and Manhattan I looked up and saw the Empire State Building so welcoming with its lights shining from the night sky. When I saw it, and took it all in, I cried. That is when NYC and I literally fell in love. And that was it. No matter how many people there are, or how many blocks I have to walk in a hurry, or how many intimidating vendors there are, or how sometimes walking back at night can be a bit worrisome, The City has my heart. I heart NY.


“New York City. New York absorbs everything and nothing. In New York time stands still yet moves so fast you can barely keep up with it. In New York you’re young, but you’re old too, you’re reckless and wise, you’re innocent and you’re knowing. Every time I step outside in this city I feel the same excitement I did when I first got here. New York City, it assumes nothing, yet demands everything that you can possibly give. Living in New York – it’s like falling in love.” ~ “The Bedford Diaries”

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That's too bad. You were the only person I knew in New York. ~ When Harry Met Sally

Oh no. My family is in Florida and I'm in New York... ~Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

It's 5 days before Christmas and I'm in the middle of a New York department store and he's asking me to calm down? ~ Serendipity