Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 Seven Years Later

Today is the seventh year anniversary of September 11, 2001. Every year on this day I try to remember it and pray for the survivors and the loved ones of those who did not. Since all day people on the radio have been sharing where they were and what they remember, here is my version…
I was in tenth grade and was up getting ready for school. It was really early and I was walking into the living room when the second plane hit the second tower. My Dad was standing in the living room watching it happen too. I can’t really remember the mood of my parents, but it must have been serious because that was how I understood the severity of the morning and what I had seen. I remember we all felt strange about going to work and school that day but we did. Everyone did. I remember being at school that morning and my friends and I were all comparing note on what we had seen on TV. I remember my first class was with Mrs. Yucas for English. Everyone wanted to turn on the radio and listen to the news, but Mrs. Yucas said no. She was all business as usual and I remember it was one of the only times I didn’t understand or respect her, but looking back, I completely understand – and really respect – that she tried to bring focus to all of us. She must have been scared too, but still, she remained professional. In fact, as a military wife, she totally understood what was happening that morning and that probably made her even more nervous and upset, but she did her job and she did it well. She, just like all of the firefighters and police officers, she honored her country and respected the situation, by remaining calm and focused and doing her job to the best of her ability.
The other main memories I have is watching all of the 24/7 coverage and that it was literally on every channel including MTV and CMT. It was so surreal and seemed to last for what felt like weeks. I also remember Peter Jennings on ABC getting choked up when he talked about calling his kids to make sure they were all okay and to tell them he loved them. Then he told the viewers to do the same.
I hope September 11, 2001 is a day I never forget and that we as a nation never forget, simply so we remember how united we were for a few months afterward.

No comments: