Wednesday, August 20, 2008

17th Grade

Today I was accepted to 17th grade, also known as GRAD SCHOOL. Crazy, huh? If you had told me seven months ago that I would be starting grad school at the school I graduated from, without taking a year off, and that my degree would have nothing to do with my BA in English, I would have told you that you were crazy. In fact, I would have bet you $100 that you were wrong and probably would have been offended you didn’t think I could move away from Azusa, a place I wasn’t too crazy about the first three and half years I lived here. And yet, today I was accepted to grad school at APU. I start in two weeks and will be on my way to earning a MA in Organizational Leadership. The thing that is even more surprising is that I feel very secure about the whole thing. I feel more secure now about living in the Azusa area, working at APU, and starting grad school than I ever did four years ago when I moved here.
Four years ago I was terrified. I’ll never forget driving up to school with my family getting, off the 210 and truly seeing the new city I was supposed to call home. The city was ugly, covered in smog, and full of stores and hole in the wall eateries that I thought I would never go to (sorry Moonwok). My freshman year may have been the worst year of my life and at Christmas break I was thinking of transferring schools, but I came back. The following year, I came back again, and again, and by the start of my senior year I couldn’t wait to move in with my roommates. But it wasn’t until I graduated college that I really began to love being at APU. Honestly, I was still relieved to be graduating and be done with undergrad, but I was finally content to be where I had been for the last three years. It was finally home.
Now, I am still at APU, enjoying my job, and beginning my new path of study in Organizational Leadership. I think this will be a really good fit. It brings together my love of Strengths and my interest in birth order theory (thanks, Mom). It also continues my love for developing leadership skills. I have been involved with leadership teams since Junior High, but it wasn’t until college that I truly began to analyze people in leadership and what motivates people to act the way they do. The MAOL program studies these same things. I’m excited to start the next phase of my academic career and feel relieved that I have a new direction and a sense of purpose for two to three more years. It is a complete answer to prayer.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Yea! Grad school! Congratulations and I love you! JLT