Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Rockin' Out

Power outages: 2
Calls from angry students: 3
Fire drills: 1
CAPS "family" deaths: 3
Lunch invitations: 7
Visits from frustrated marketers: 6
Earthquake evacuations: 1
Good talks about God: 10
Experiences on the job: PRICELESS

...

Today there was a 5.4 earthquake while I was at work. At first I felt a jolt and just thought it was men walking on the ceiling above, because that happens almost daily. However, once the swaying started I knew it was an earthquake. Every safety lesson taught in elementary school came back to me and I jumped under my co-workers desk and suggested she do the same. It probably only lasted for about 30 seconds, but it felt longer. Then we were told to evacuate, which confused me at first because I figured more harm could be done outside, but then I realized away from tall buildings and trees is probably the safest place to be.
As an emotional and imaginative person I immediately panicked, but because I was at work I wanted to seem calm and in control, so I kept it together until we got back inside and I was safe and my cell phone wouldn’t work. When I finally got through to my Dad I cried when I heard his voice. Then I talked to my mom and cried even more. When the quake first hit I wasn’t sure where the center of it was, so I had no way of knowing if it had hit San Diego hard and we were feeling the result of that shock, or if we were at the center in LA. Obviously, we were the center and San Diego merely felt it, but then I wanted to be able to get through to my family to make sure they knew I was okay.
It was one of those moments where you prioritize and realize who the most important people in your world are because you want to call them first. My family were my first priority and then I wanted to make sure my roommates were safe, so much so that I debated driving to our apartment when I couldn’t reach them on their cell phones! Natural disasters, no matter how small or insignificant, have a way of putting a person’s life and time into perspective.

No comments: